Pachmarhi is a hill station in Madhya Pradesh state of central India. It is widely known as Satpura ki Rani ("Queen of Satpura"), situated at a height of 1100 m in a valley of the Satpura Range in Hoshangabad district. The name Pachmarhi is believed to be derived from the Hindi words Panch ("five") and Marhi ("caves"). According to a legend, these caves were built by five Pandava brothers of Mahabharatha era during their fourteen years of exile. The caves are situated on a hilltop and provide an excellent vantage point. Pachmarhi region came under the kingdom of the Gond king Bhawut Singh, although it was a populated village or town at that time.
Captain James Forsyth of the British Army along with Subhedar Major Nathoo Ramji Powar who was later made the Kotwal (Incharge of the armoury (Koth)of Pachmarhi, spotted the plateau in the Pachmarhi region in 1857, while leading his troops on the way to Jhansi. It quickly developed into hill station and sanatorium for British troops in the Central Provinces of India. The town is not very large, and most of its area is under the administration of the Pachmarhi Cantonment Board, serving the Indian Army.
4 km from Jai Stambh, the popular myth and belief associates these five ancient dwellings with years of exile of Pandav of Mahabarta. These caves are now protected monuments and have beautifull manicured gardens in their front.
Formerly known as Forsyth point is a vantage viewing point offering the fine views of the area and surroundings.This mark the place from where Captain Forsyth witnessed the beauty of pachmarhi. The view of setting sun is most spectacular from here.
Highest point of Satpura ranges. It is known for sunrise and sunset view point. At night one can see the lights of the neighboring towns such as Itarsi. At the day time the view of the lush green valley offers a captivating view. One can reach the top either by road or by trekking.
AThis the second highest peak. It is a pilgrimage site with Lord Siva's temple at the top. There is a Chauragarh fort there built by the king Sangram Shah of Gond dynasty.
One of the most beautiful water falls of Pachmarhi, Jamuna Pratap(Bee Falls) is only 3 km from city center.They cascade down 35 m over a sheer rockface to present a spectacular sight.The falls makes a sound akin to swarmp of bees and hence the name. A flight of over 200 steps leads to the base of the falls where one can stand under its cool water or take a refreshing dip.
Formerly known as the Duchess fall makes for an attractive outing. The stream falls over a steep cliff face, above a 100 m high,into a deep gorge.
Panarpani has a natural fresh water lake with forest around.
This is a conflux of mountain streams behind Dhupgarh. The water in these streams is crystal clear in all seasons except of course autumn.
These are mountain caves with fresh water dripping from them. One can witness ecosystem at work out here with mountains feeding the streams with fresh water, the water that they soak-in during autumn. As the name suggests, these caves and many others like these are abode of lord Siva.
lso called Rajat Prapat/Big Fall. The falls comes 2800+ feet roaring down the gorge creating a sliver streak that gives its name. The view of dense, serene, virgin forest and stream is simply mesmerizing.
This is a mountain stream that creates a beautiful natural water pool, cascades and waterfall in its course.
195 km from Bhopal, 47 km from Pipariya.
Throughout the year.